Steps to start a video sharing site using FFmpeg
The last few years have seen a massive change in which websites are made. Today, it is more collaborative, making people come together under a community and sharing contents. Websites even allow users to upload content directly in its server, and let other users view it. This is a huge change from the way websites used to be few years back: the Webmaster created the contents for the site, and there was limited participation from the user.
The latest craze that has hit the web world is video sharing. People have been enthusiastic to upload different videos, and view other videos hosted on the site. Hence, a lot of websites enabling video sharing has cropped up in the last few years. And there is a set of software libraries that have been making it possible: FFmpeg.
So, how do we make a perfect video sharing website with FFmpeg, which is bound to attract netizens? In this article, we look deeper into the matter.
1. Firstly, a web host has to be located with FFmpeg installed on the server. Such hosting with FFmpeg installed is also termed as FFmpeg hosting. FFmpeg is responsible for converting one video format to another, uploading and streaming of video files. Such servers should ideally be dedicated, because in most cases, these sites are subjected to consumption of huge traffic, so there is a lot of pressure on the web server.
2. A database, preferably using MySQL must be set up as the website scripts of Ffmpeg would require a database to use. The database just needs to be created, as the configuration would be done in the settings of the video sharing scripts of FFmpeg during installation.
3. The video sharing scripts must be installed in the server. Some FFmpeg hosts provide a few scripts for free, while most of them can be bought for varying prices. Among many such scripts, the most used are PHP motion and vShare.
4. The other steps include uploading files to the web host, which can be done through the file manager of the website’s control panel or the FTP site, which is a lot quicker.
5. However, one step should be performed for maintaining the security of the video sharing website. The installation files should be deleted from the web server. This would prevent anyone from performing malicious activities in the site.
The above-mentioned steps should be enough for creating a video sharing website. However, one of the main steps is to find a good web host that provides FFmpeg installation. As the site gets popular, the web admin can opt for Virtual Private Hosting, which would take good care of the bandwidth problems.
BounceWeb provides FFmpeg hosting. Check out our support for YouTube Clone Scripts. Also we have video sharing demos.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.